2021 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures
About this report
2021 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures is a statistical resource for U.S. data related to Alzheimer’s disease, the most common cause of dementia. Background and context for interpretation of the data are contained in the Overview. Additional sections address prevalence, mortality and morbidity, caregiving, and use and costs of health care and services. A Special Report examines race, ethnicity and Alzheimer’s in America.
Specific information in this year’s Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures includes:
- Brain changes that occur with Alzheimer’s disease (page 5).
- Risk factors for Alzheimer’s dementia (page 13).
- Number of Americans with Alzheimer’s dementia nationally (page 19) and for each state (page 22).
- Lifetime risk for developing Alzheimer’s dementia (page 24).
- Proportion of women and men with Alzheimer’s and other dementias (page 24).
- Number of deaths due to Alzheimer’s disease nationally (page 29) and for each state (page 32), and death rates by age (page 33).
- The effect of COVID-19 on deaths from Alzheimer’s disease (page 30).
- Numberoffamilycaregivers,hoursofcareprovided,andeconomicvalueofunpaid care nationally (page 36) and for each state (page 40).
- The health and economic impact of caregiving on caregivers (page 41).
- The impact of COVID-19 on dementia caregiving (page 49).
- National cost of care for individuals with Alzheimer’s or other dementias, including costs paid by Medicare and Medicaid and costs paid out of pocket (page 52).
- Medicarepaymentsforpeoplewithdementiacomparedwithpeoplewithout dementia (page 59).
- Types of discrimination experienced by Alzheimer’s and dementia caregivers (page 74).
- Racial and ethnic attitudes about medical research and clinical trial participation (page 79).The Appendices detail sources and methods used to derive statistics in this report.
When possible, specific information about Alzheimer’s disease is provided; in other cases, the reference may be a more general one of “Alzheimer’s or other dementias.”
Download the complete report:
Alzheimer’s Association. 2021 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures. Alzheimers Dement 2021;17(3).
©2021 Alzheimer’s Association. All rights reserved.